Join Our List
What's new at Joe's House?
- New hospitals in Saginaw, MI:
- Covenant HealthCare (Cancer Care & Infusion Therapy)
- St. Mary's of Michigan (Seton Cancer Center)
new hospitality houses in Saginaw; McNally House and Emerson House.
Both offer a "home away from home" for patients traveling to Saignaw for
treatment and offer rooms in either house for $20 per night.
- New Orleans additions- Tulane Medical Center on Tulane Ave and Tulane Lakeside Hospital.
rates from Drury Hotels; including rates of $89.99 at both the Houston
and San Antonio Medical Center and new set rates at the Phoenix Airport,
both Birmingham locations, Columbus, OH and New Orleans.
| Half Marathon
Running for Joe's House - News from the President
Some of you received a letter from me in March called "Running for Joe's
House". Almost 30 days ago I ran my first 1/2 marathon in 30 years! I
was expecting 30 hours of agony afterwards. I'm happy to say that with
the support of family, friends and donors I ran 13 miles in 2:15 and
felt great (okay the day after was a little tough).
Many of you
gave $30 (and more) to see me through the 30th anniversary run. Thanks
to all of you Joe's House raised over close to $900! (www.joeshouse.org)
won't wait another 30 years to run one again, but I doubt it will be
next year either. Thank you again for all of your encouragement.
| Interesting Articles/ Other Resources
During the course of the year we come across stories from patients
of course, but we also hear about exciting new cancer treatment centers,
procedures, breakthroughs, resources and interesting articles.
Here are a few things we found that might be of interest:
- An article from Cure Magazine about how to talk to your doctor about information you find from the Internet:http://www.curetoday.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/journey.showArticle/id/9/enableStageSubMenu/3/article_id/1876
- Our friends at Cancercare have a plethora of workshops and podcasts to help those battling cancer. May: Understanding the roles of Clinical Trails and in June part of the Living with Cancer series: Changing Roles of Caregivers. Use this link http://www.cancercare.org/connect_workshops to see a complete list.
We get hundreds of calls a month and scores of emails each week. Here
are just a few of the stories from patients, family members and social
workers. Sharon was looking for financial assistance, lodging and air
transportation. While Joe's House does not offer financial help we
steered her in the right direction while helping with lodging and
sending her to National Patient Travel Helpline for air travel. Jim was
very grateful for lodging information in Columbia, MO as was Stacey for
information for a patient traveling to Maine.